Outreach to Undergraduate Researchers
The group will provide undergraduate students, especially underrepresented groups, with unique education and research experience, combining areas including materials science, electron microscopy, and scientific computing.
- Undergraduate student Mr. Noah Meyer joined the MDC Group in Fall 2020 and he won Nevada Undergraduate Research Award.
- Undergraduate student Ms. Darlene Merrill joined the MDC Group in Fall 2020 as undergraduate research assistant and she won Nevada Undergraduate Research Award.
- Undergraduate students Ms. Sydney Fields and Mr. Hiram Acosta joined the MDC Group in Fall 2021 as undergraduate research assistant. Sydney won Nevada Undergraduate Research Award in Spring 2022.
- Dian provided a lab tour for the senior undergraduate students in MSE program.
- Undergraduate students Mr. Zachary Futch and Mr. Cameron Tucker joined the MDC Group in Spring 2022 as undergraduate research assistant.
Outreach to K-12 Students and Educators
The outreach program will focus on providing direct visualization modules using remote electron microscopy that demonstrate simple science and engineering principles to kids from middle to high school, focusing on materials science and microscopy.
- We hosted summer camp for high school students in Reno area in summer 2022
Alex Zhang, high school student from Sage Ridge School, joined us in the summer 2021 and worked on Phenom desktop SEM.
- We hosted lab tours for local high school counselors in Reno area.
Dr. Zheng presented pre-recorded virtual lecture, Nano World in Materials, in the Virtual Engineering Everywhere! Summer Camp in the College of Engineering’s K-12 Outreach Program in summer 2020. The Summer Camp has attracted 91 registered participants with a diverse ethnicities from Reno and neighboring regions.
- Dr. Zheng presented pre-recorded virtual lecture in the Virtual Engineering Summer Camp in the College of Engineering’s K-12 Outreach Program in summer 2021.